thumbnail Hello,


  • 27 August 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: K. Qongqo
  • • Attendance: 12000

Kaizer Chiefs 1-1 Moroka Swallows: Chiefs held at home

Kaizer Chiefs 1-1 Moroka Swallows: Chiefs held at home


AmaKhosi endured a frustrating night, as they could only play to a 1-all draw against Swallows at the FNB Stadium on Tuesday

Moroka Swallows dominated possession early in the game, and nearly broke the deadlock inside the opening five minutes when Luvhengo Mungomeni’s bicycle kick from the edge of the box was saved by Itumeleng Khune.

Siboniso Gaxa should have given Chiefs the lead in the 11th minute after being beautifully picked by Reneilwe Letsholonyane on the far side, but Greg Etafia came off his line to make a fine block.

Siyabonga Nomvethe threatened to open the scoring in the 21st minute after cutting inside the field from the left hand side, but his well taken shot was comfortably saved by Khune.

Chiefs re-grouped and dominated possession in the middle of the park, but resolute defending from Swallows prevented them to create any real clear-cut chances.

However, Knowledge Musona did find space on the edge of the Swallows box in the 30th minute, but his curler narrowly missed the target, as the Zimbabwean international continued to search for his first official goal since returning from Germany.

The first half ended with Nomvethe’s attempted cross that sailed over Khune’s bar, as both teams often struggled with possession in the final third.

After a sloppy start to the second half, Swallows pushed forward and looked to punish Chiefs in the 50th minute when Nomvethe again cut inside, but he failed to force Khune into making any save.

Gaxa whipped in a good cross immediately afterwards, and the ball fell kindly to Musona who tried a bicycle kick, but his tame shot could not trouble Etafia.

Swallows deservedly took the lead in the 56th minute through Lerato Chabangu who slammed Dikgang Mabalane’s pin-point cross into the roof of Khune’s net.

 Chiefs were back on level terms on the hour mark after Musona was brought down by in the penalty area by Asavela Mbekile, and it was none other than Bernard Parker who stepped up to send Etafia the wrong way.

The home side continued to pile pressure on their opponents, and Musona was often a thorn in the Swallows defence.

The visitors won a free-kick on the edge of the Chiefs box after Nomvethe was tripped by Willard Katsande, and Chabangu tested Khune with a low curler, only for the Bafana captain to stretch to his left to make a brilliant save.

Khune had to make an acrobatic save to deny Chabangu from a free-kick in the 75th minute, as Swallows looked very much in control.

Nomvethe should have made it 2-1 to Swallows with 10 minutes remaining, but Khune came off his line to deny him with a fine block, before Chabangu missed the target from the rebound.

Musona tried his luck from inside the Swallows box in the 84th minute, but it wasn’t meant to be for the Chiefs forward, as his shot narrowly flashed across Etafia’s goal.

Both teams continued to attack each other in search of the winner, but nothing came out of their attempts as it ended 1-1 at the FNB Stadium.