On Sunday, Orlando Pirates face one of the toughest challenges in African football - an away trip to Egyptian giants Al-Ahly
Fathy, Gomaa, Moawad, Samir
Ashour, El Said, Soliman, Aboutrika
Jele, Lekgwathi, Mahamutsa, Matlaba
Klate, Manyisa, Jali, Segolela
Al-Ahly host Orlando Pirates in a Caf Champions League group match on Sunday, with the game set to be played in El Gouna behind closed doors.
Defending champions, Al-Ahly are still considered to be the most dangerous football side in Africa and should test Roger de Sa's troops despite being forced to play in an empty stadium.
The Egyptian side requested for the match to be played on August 9th due to fasting during Ramadan, but Caf rejected the proposal.
Roger de Sa, speaking to Pirates' official website outlined his confidence in his squad's ability to pull off a historic win in Egypt.
"I think the guys focus for this game (against Al Ahly) has been phenomenal," said De Sa, "The level of commitment and focus at training the last couple of days has been immense.
"I think they (the players) are ready for the battle in Egypt. It won’t be easy of course but I think most of the guys understand what victory in Cairo will mean to them and to the supporters."
Neither side has been stricken by injuries, with De Sa confirming that his team are fit and ready for the match on Sunday.
"I’m glad that we have a clean bill of health as we head into the game over the weekend," De Sa said.
"The players have been getting stuck in throughout the week – despite all the fighting, everyone came out injury free."
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Despite a clean bill of health, Orlando Pirates will not be allowed to start Kermit Erasmus as the club's new striker was not named in the Caf Champions League squad eariler in the season.
- Al-Ahly are defending Caf Champions League winners, after defeating Esperance 3-2 on aggregate in the final.
- This is the 49th edition of the Caf Champions League.
- Both Pirates and Al-Ahly recorded draws in their opening group encounters, with Pirates playing to a 0-0 draw against AC Leopards, while Al_ahly drew 1-1 with bitter rivals Zamalek.
- The PSL league season has kicked off in South Africa, with Pirates et to play their first match of the season on Thursday against Ajax Cape Town.