I'm not angry with Jovetic call-up - Mancini

Comments
The forward's coach is not unhappy over his country's decision to call him up, and is simply focused on Inter bouncing back against Sampdoria

Roberto Mancini has denied he is angry with Stevan Jovetic's call-up to the Montenegro squad, as Inter prepare to face Sampdoria on Sunday.

Branko Brnovic handed Jovetic a place in the squad for the crucial Euro 2016 qualifiers with Austria and Russia despite the 25-year-old having suffered a pulled hamstring.

Mancini confirmed Jovetic will be unlikely to play at Stadio Luigi Ferraris on Sunday, and trusts that the Manchester City-loanee will be sensible on international duty as he aims to have him fit to face Juventus on October 18.

"There's no problem, I'm not angry with anyone. It's normal for him to be called up. I don't think he's able to play [against Sampdoria]," Mancini said.

"He's a smart lad. If he's called, he has to go, but he knows what to do. I hope he can return to the pitch to face Juventus."

Inter's perfect start to the Serie A season was ended last week as Fiorentina romped to a 4-1 victory in Milan, with Miranda sent off for the home side.

And Mancini was shocked by the manner of the defeat, as he believes his side played some of their best football of the campaign, especially in the first half.

"It was an absurd defeat. In the first half-hour, despite our disadvantage, we played one of our best games," he said.

"It can't be explained. You accept the result and you move on. We lost an important player in Miranda, that's the main bad point.

"You don't lose the game because you play three or four at the back. It's down to other reasons, like individual mistakes or errors from the referee.

"We've taken 15 points from six games, I don't think we're playing too badly. I'm not worried by what the papers say. I have an idea of football and I won't let it be influenced by external factors."

Article continues below

Mancini expects a tough test against Sampdoria next, with Walter Zenga's side currently five points off the top of the table after netting 12 times in their first six games.

He continued: "Samp are a good team and have three or four quality players in attack who can decide a match. I'm happy to see Walter back in Italian football, he's doing a great job."

Despite their loss last time out, the San Siro giants are still joint-top of Serie A - a position they share with their recent conquerors, Fiorentina.

Next article:
Simeone has 'positive feelings' over Gimenez fitness ahead of Madrid derby
Next article:
Mexico in 'final stretch' of coaching process despite Ferretti rejection
Next article:
‘We needed to prove a point’ - Oladapo explains Enyimba’s mauling of Rayon Sports
Next article:
I knew we'd be in trouble with Jones on penalties – Mourinho
Next article:
'I'm shell-shocked!' - Lampard left stunned as Derby win at Old Trafford
Close