Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has expressed his delight at earning a recall to the Spain squad after being named in Vicente del Bosque's 23-man selection for the FIFA Confederations Cup later this month.
The 29-year-old Torres had been omitted from recent Roja squads following a poor run of form for Chelsea, but, having enjoyed a strong end to the campaign - which included a goal in the Europa League final - the striker has now returned to the international fold.
"It’s a joy to be here for a tournament like this that we have never won, and for me to make the group," Torres told reporters. "We are looking forward, we want to be the last team in the tournament and to come back with the trophy.
"I missed the last two squads, and it has always taken a lot to be selected. It is not easy, there are many teammates who are doing well, but the end of the season has been very good for my team and me.
"I had the ambition to return, and I now want to play and train and keep doing things well."
The former Liverpool man also commented on Jose Mourinho's Chelsea return and admitted he hopes to impress his new coach by enjoying a successful Confederations Cup campaign.
"There were a lot of rumors and now it is confirmed. But first we have a very nice challenge ahead of us in the Confederations Cup, which will require 100 percent," Torres said. "Once completed we can think about next season, with hope and knowing that we have a very demanding coach."
The reigning world and European champion kicks off its campaign against Uruguay on June 16. Nigeria and Tahiti are the other two nations in Group B. Brazil, Mexico, Italy and Japan are in Group A.