The third-tier clash at the Stadio Arechi was called off after the Mastini were left with just six players following three early substitutions and five subsequent 'injuries'Lega Pro director Francesco Ghirelli has labelled the circumstances surrounding the abandonment of Sunday's clash between Salernitana and Nocerina "a disgrace".
Nocerina fans had been banned from attending the game at the Stadio Arechi, prompting the club's 'ultras' to allegedly threaten the welfare of their club's own players if they chose to participate.
That resulted in the kickoff being delayed by 40 minutes, with the visitors reportedly having initially refused to leave their team bus.
Nocerina eventually took to the field but they made three substitutions after just more than 60 seconds of action before five players were then forced off with 'injuries', forcing the match official to call the contest off after just 19 minutes of play.
“This has caused enormous damage, it’s an extremely grave matter,” Ghirelli told reporters. “We have to reflect on how to prevent these indecent spectacles. It’s a disgrace. We will wait for the sporting tribunal to judge this episode, which has done huge damage to the Lega Pro.”
However, Nocerina club sporting director Luigi Pavarese insisted that nothing untoward had gone on.
“The lads went onto the pitch without warming up, which caused the injuries,” he told reporters.