Liverpool striker Fabio Borini will not leave the club on a loan deal, manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed.
The Italian has struggled with injuries since moving to Anfield last year, making just 20 appearances, and he faces strong competition for a first-team berth following the summer arrivals of Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto. Despite Daniel Sturrdige's starring role in the opening two games of the season, the Rodgers still believes the 22-year-old Borini has a role to play at Anfield.
Asked if the Italian would be made available for loan, Rodgers said: "Not at this moment in time.
"There would be a queue of clubs wanting to take him if he was available. We want to keep a strong group - it's a very long season for us.
"You've got Daniel, Fabio, Aspas and Luis [Suarez] to come in a number of weeks. We want to make sure the competition in the group is there."
As well as keeping Borini at the club, Rodgers also remains intent on making new signings before the transfer window shuts on Sept. 2.
"We've got targets," Rodgers said. "While the window is still open we'll continue to look to improve the squad. We'll hopefully come out of the back of it with a stronger group.
"The idea is for us to strengthen that little bit more and hopefully we can do that."