thumbnail Hello,

Vertonghen: I've been offered a five-year Tottenham deal

The Belgium international insists he is happy to commit his long-term future to Spurs, and is set to undergo tests on an ankle injury when he returns to training Monday.

Jan Vertonghen says he is happy to stay at Tottenham and reveals he has been offered a new five-year contract.

Toward the end of last season, the 27-year-old said he was keen to play Champions League soccer, while the player’s agent said earlier this month that "several teams" were interested in the Belgium international.

But Vertonghen now says he is ready to commit his long-term future to the club.

MORE: Beautiful fans in Brazil | Barcelona's new bright kits | Juve's jerseys

"It goes without saying that I would like to stay at Tottenham," Vertonghen told Belgian station Radio 1. "I still had a four-year contract but I see that they have offered me a new five-year contract as a great sign of confidence."

Vertonghen will return to preseason training Monday following his vacation after Belgium's World Cup campaign and is set to undergo tests on an ankle problem.

"I walked into the World Cup match against Argentina with an ankle injury," said the defender. "But I want to treat it carefully, because last season I was suffering from one injury to another. I definitely want to avoid that."

Related

From the web

From the web