The new Potters manager claims the criticism he received during his time at Loftus Road will inspire him to bring success to his new role at the Britannia Stadium.
The 49-year-old Hughes was announced as Tony Pulis' successor at the Britannia Stadium on Thursday morning, having been out of work since being sacked by QPR in November. Hughes departed Loftus Road with the club bottom of the Premier League and without a win after 12 games.
But the Welshman, who has signed a three-year contract with Stoke, believes he should not be judged solely on his time at QPR.
"It was a very difficult time at QPR and mistakes were made," Hughes told reporters. "I made mistakes, which I have learned from. I had the task of keeping them up in the Premier League and I did that but 12 games later I lost my job.
"That was understandable and was a regret. If I had been given more time I think I would have turned it around. We tried to run before we could walk and I hold my hands up. But this is about the here and now and moving Stoke forward and getting the success we all want.
Hughes was previously boss at Blackburn, Manchester City and Fulham and says he is motivated to prove those who are judging him based on his horrid stint at QPR are wrong.
"I've had around 270 games managing at Premier League level and in recent months people have wanted to define my managerial career based on 12 games at the start of last season," Hughes said. "I've kept my counsel for six months but now is not the time to speak about it. Maybe this gives me more motivation to prove people wrong. I've listened to what people have said about me and I can assure everybody I will use that as motivation to do well at Stoke."