Swansea 0-0 Southampton: Swans play out dire goalless draw with safe Saints

The hosts started brightly but couldn't create any clear-cut chances against a solid Saints defense, as Pochettino's men stretch their impressive unbeaten run to six games
Southampton added a point to its late surge for a top-half finish in the Premier League with a draw against Swansea at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.

The hosts started well but failed to create any clear-cut chances to hammer their dominance home, before the Saints came back into the game and tested Michel Vorm on a number of occasions, as well as having a goal disallowed, in a largely uninspiring first half. The second period was much the same as neither side really tested the opposition's keeper - though Nathan Dyer did see an effort blocked off the line.

Neil Taylor was back on the Swans bench after seven months out with a fractured ankle, while Angel Rangel, Leon Britton and Pablo Hernandez all returned. Luke Moore continued up front. Meanwhile Jay Rodriguez was able to start for the Saints after fully recovering from a virus, with Gaston Ramirez dropping out, but Luke Shaw was only fit enough for the bench.

The home side dominated the opening 15 minutes as it looked comfortable and relaxed in possession. Dyer in particular caused Southampton problems on the right wing, and produced numerous decent deliveries, however the Swans failed to create any clear openings.

Jack Cork - who was making his 100th appearance for Saints - forced Michel Vorm into a decent save from a strike from range, but it was the hosts that continued to see the better of the play. However their final ball was still lacking and Boruc had little to do apart from handle some dangerous crosses.

As the game passed the 20 minute mark the visiting side managed to get more of a foothold in the contest. Rodriguez called Vorm into action again with a half volley - which the keeper was equal to - but chances largely remained few and far between as the two sides matched each other.

And with the momentum behind them, Mauricio Pochettino's turned up the pressure as the half came to a close. Rickie Lambert's free kick was acrobatically kept away from the top corner by Vorm, with Adam Lallana having a goal ruled out as he was adjudged to have fouled the hosts' keeper before tapping home from close range.

Wayne Routledge replaced the quiet Moore for Swans at the break - with Michu shifting up front - and it almost paid dividends instantly as the winger crossed for the Spaniard who headed just over Boruc's bar.

Despite the early chance the second half continued as the first ended with little goalmouth action. It was the Swans again who did finally carve out another chance - though they were helped largely by a miss-placed Lallana pass - as Maya Yoshida blocked Dyer's shot off the line.

Swansea managed to mount some meaningful pressure with around 20 minutes remaining, and created a sight at goal after some neat play in midfield but De Guzman was denied by a fantastic stop by Saints keeper Boruc's boot.

The hosts put a number of late moves together but failed to break down a hard-working Saints defence, while Vorm then denied Saints substitute Emmanuel Mayuka from grabbing a win for the visitors very late in the game.