Norwich City 2-1 Everton: Kamara & Holt complete dramatic late comeback

Canaries' climb to the 12th after dramatic winner leaves Moyes' side six points off a top-four spot
Kei Kamara and Grant Holt completed a late comeback for Norwich as the Canaries left it late against Everton to pick up an important three points at Carrow Road, despite Leon Osman’s 39th minute header giving the Toffees the lead at halftime.

Kamara's header and Holt's tap-in proved to be too much for Everton to handle, despite a resistant defense keeping the Canaries’ out until the late stages of the game.

A defeat for David Moyes’ side leaves it six points off of fourth spot, and even though Norwich has won only once in its last 10 fixtures, Chris Hughton’s side climbed to 12th place.

Hughton started both Luciano Becchio and Grant Holt for the first time in the Premier League, with Wes Hoolahan moving to the left of midfield to make room for the duo in attack. Jonathan Howson came into the starting lineup for Alexander Tettey, who was forced onto the sidelines with injury.

Kevin Mirallas however lost his place in the starting lineup as Steven Naismith reclaimed his position as right midfielder. Nikica Jelavic kept his place as lone striker with Victor Anichebe missing out completely due to injury. Seamus Coleman also returned after missing the last five games.

Robert Snodgrass was denied the first clear chance of the game, when his shot from six yards out was deflected over the bar by Sylvain Distin. Everton hit back immediately though, with Jelavic forcing Mark Bunn to parry the ball to safety early on.

A great piece of buildup play by Everton saw Jelavic chest down the ball to the feet of Marouane Fellaini, but Michael Turner brilliantly blocked the attacker’s shot right on the edge of the penalty area.

The 35th minute saw the game’s tempo increase as Bradley Johnson left Everton playmaker Fellaini with a nasty looking gash to his knee, but the referee deemed the Belgium international as making the initial foul resulting in Norwich being awarded a free kick, which Tim Howard easily saved.

Four minutes later Leon Osman broke the deadlock as he found space in the six yard-box to head in Baines’ cross from the left side of the field after some great buildup play from Pienaar and Fellaini, all resulting from a free kick near the halfway line.

Despite making no changes at halftime, Everton came out the stronger side with Baines and Fellaini testing the Norwich defense in the early moments of the second half, although a lack of precise passing in the final third of the pitch provided no clear chances for the away side.

Holt joined Baines in the book after the striker was deemed as fouling Coleman near the half-way line, although the Toffee’s did little with the resulting free-kick.

Kamara came onto the field just before the 60th minute for Becchio, and made an impact almost immediately after Holt’s pass fell to the feet of the January signing, who set himself up with a scissor-kick volley which Howard was forced to save.

Anthony Pilkington made his return in the 70th minute, coming on for Wes Hoolahan, who was kept isolated by the Everton defense. Some good deliveries by Pilkington and Snodgrass gave the home side some hope in the closing stages of the game, but Howard was repeatedly quick off his line to prevent any clear-cut chances for Norwich.

Norwich finally got an equalizer in the 84th minute when Kamara got his first Premier League goal for Norwich when he got his head onto Snodgrass’ corner, jumping above the Everton defense and heading past Howard.

The Canaries’ were close to grabbing a winner in the 91st minute, before a game-saving challenge from Distin ensured the visitor’s maintained their lead. But, with stoppage time almost over, Norwich captain Grant Holt tapped the ball into an empty with Howard off of his line following Martin’s cross into the Everton penalty box.