The Red Devils increased their advantage over Premier League champion Manchester City with a 3-2 derby win last Sunday, but will have to be wary of Martin O'Neill's wounded side.
Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
Scholes, Carrick, Cleverley
Welbeck, Van Persie, Young
Gardner, O'Shea, Cuellar, Rose
Johnson, Larsson, Colback, McClean
Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic is set to make his comeback to the starting XI after two months out with a knee injury, while Jonny Evans (hamstring) looks likely to miss out after having to be substituted against Manchester City last Sunday.
Nani and Anderson (both hamstring) are set to miss first-team action until the end of December, while this match may come too soon for Shinji Kagawa (knee).
Wayne Rooney (illness) could be rested by Sir Alex Ferguson with either Chicharito or Danny Welbeck taking his place in the team. Antonio Valencia may also be given a break after making a surprise comeback for the Manchester City game after a spell on the sidelines following a hip injury.
Sunderland defender Wes Brown (knee) is out until the end of January, so will miss a return to his former club. Lee Cattermole (knee) has no set return date but will be a big miss for Martin O'Neill's men.
Danny Rose, Adam Johnson (both knocks) and Phil Bardsley (knee) were substituted in the midweek win over Reading, with the Scottish fullback expected to miss the next few weeks of action, although the left-sided pair could be fit for this game.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United has won 14 of its last 16 games at Old Trafford, losing just once.
- United is undefeated against Sunderland in its last 17 meetings in all competitions.
- Sunderland has just one win from its last 15 Premier League away games, losing seven and drawing seven.
- The Black Cats have also failed to score in 14 of those 15 away matches.
- Wayne Rooney scored his 150th Premier League goal during the 3-2 victory over Manchester City last Sunday.
- United has only scored seven goals against Sunderland in its last three meetings - three of which were own goals by Black Cats players.
- Robin van Persie (pictured, right) has seven goals in nine appearances against Sunderland in all competitions.
- The Wearside club has conceded two fewer goals than United in the league this season, but trails it by 23 points after 16 games.