The manager has refuted claims he is edging towards the exit door after failing to win any of the club's first 11 league games, but he notes the importance of Saturday's match.
QPR manager Mark Hughes has insisted he remains the right man for the job at Loftus Road despite mounting pressure on his position after a poor start to the season.
The Rs are still looking to secure their first win of an 11-game-old season and host newly promoted Southampton this weekend. Hughes has refuted claims that he is edging closer to the exit door, instead reaffirming his own ability to guide the club to safety.
"My future doesn't hinge on this match," Hughes told reporters. "People shouldn't underestimate the changes that have gone on at the club, and I have been a big part of that. I have had great support from everyone. That doesn't just get swept aside because we are in a difficult situation. It is because of that work we have done before that sustains you and allows you time to get through this period.
"The club has moved forward in a massive way since I came in the door through the work I and my staff have done. Everyone is pulling together to take this club forward."
Owner Tony Fernandes tweeted last week that the Southampton clash was a “must-win” encounter but Hughes believes his boss' words have been taken out of context and underlined the backing his receives from his employer.
"I don't think it has been reported in the right context," Hughes said. "I don't think he was saying it is a must-win game. No one anticipated this run would go on as long as this, but we are still in an early part of the season we still have a lot of games to play.
"The only way we change [our bad run] is by winning games and that's our intention at the weekend. When you have a bad period the focus comes on you and people will ask questions. But I'm very confident I can answer anyone who comes here and questions how I prepare my teams, how we train and the intensity which we work at."