thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • May 6, 2012
  • • 9:00 AM
  • • Loftus Road Stadium, London
  • Referee: A. Marriner
  • • Attendance: 17319

QPR 1-0 Stoke City: Cisse nets dramatic late winner to haul Rangers away from drop zone

The Frenchman's goal in the dying moments sealed all three points for the Hoops and their chances of remaining in the top flight remain in their hands going into the last game.

A goal in the dying moments from Djibril Cisse earned all three points for Queens Park Rangers as the club beat Stoke City 1-0 in the Premier League.

A late corner provided the in form striker with a tap in, after a poor showing from both sides in which neither created anything outstanding.

The home side began the game well, with Jamie Mackie attacking down the right from the off, pulling his cross back and providing a good chance for Adel Taarabt, but the Moroccan couldn’t get on the end of it.

Moments late Cameron Jerome spurned a glorious opportunity to put Stoke in the lead early on. Peter Crouch flicked the ball into the striker’s path, but he snatched at his shot from eight yards out and sliced it wide.

Taarabt continued to look lively within the first quarter of an hour, winning a free kick for his side after a nice piece of skill to evade Marc Wilson. The former Tottenham player then took the set piece, which was heading for the bottom left hand corner, if not for a very good save from Thomas Sorenson, who parried it out. Joey Barton almost latched on to the rebound, but instead of giving it to the unmarked Bobby Zamora in the box, he could only hit the side netting.

Both teams were looking to attack within the first half hour, but neither could retain possession for long enough to create anything substantial.

Stoke began the second half strongest, with Peter Crouch having a free header in the box, however he couldn’t force a save from the keeper, as he completely missed the target. Minutes later, Ricardo Fuller had a superb curling effort, but his shot also sailed just wide of the far post.

Much like the first half both teams continued to attack and attempt to go ahead, but neither could create anything, with the defenses standing tall for each side.

On the hour QPR had a free kick from a promising position 20 yards out, with Taye Taiwo the taker, however the fullback could only drive the ball into the wall. It rebounded back to the Nigerian, but his second effort was also blocked.

Substitute Cisse had the best chance of the half, producing a fantastic save from Sorensen. The Frenchman got ahead of his marker to head towards goal, but the outstretched arm of the Danish keeper denied the striker from putting QPR in the lead going into the final 10 minutes.

With only three minutes left of normal time, the January signing may have made his biggest contribution so far, scoring a crucial goal for QPR as he finished an easy tap in from four yards out. Nedum Onuhua rose high to head on the incoming ball to the back post from the corner, and Cisse had an easy chance to finish.

Follow GOAL.COM USA on