The Frenchman reveals his move from Lille to Tyneside was questioned by many in his home country, but insists the Magpies' Champions League push has vindicated his decisionYohan Cabaye has expressed his delight at proving people who questioned his summer move to Newcastle United wrong.
The France international moved to Tyneside from then French champions Lille and admits that several people questioned his transfer to the Sports Direct Arena.
Cabaye told The Newcastle Chronicle: “When I left Lille to come and play for Newcastle, people in France and the local journalists said ‘why have you left Lille to play for a team which finished 12th in the league?’"
“But I can’t be happier with my decision. Look where we are and what we can add to what we’ve already achieved so far.
He added, “Now those same people who talked so negatively are saying that I made a good choice."
“But I always knew I was coming to a big club with fantastic supporters.”
The Magpies currently sit fourth in the league, three points behind third-placed Arsenal and with a game in hand, but Cabaye is looking to focus on the remaining fixtures this season and insists he is not thinking about playing in the Champions League again.
When questioned on Newcastle's European chances, he replied: “We’ll not talk too much about that just yet. We know that it is up to us to finish the season strongly."
“But there is no reason why we can’t. If we are still in this position when we play Manchester City and Everton, it’s looking really good for us.”
Newcastle takes on Wigan on Saturday, Cabaye having netted one of his five goals so far this season during the reverse fixture in October, and the Frenchman is looking to find the net again after a double against Stoke last week.
“I hope [I can score]," Cabaye stated. "But if someone else scores, I will be happy. The most important thing is the team spirit, and to fight for our teammates.
“We have to be focused to get the win.”