The second placed side had a tough time in its 1-1 draw at Stoke City last weekend, and the Black Cats will want to bounce back from Tuesday’s FA Cup quarterfinal exit.
Richards, Kompany, K Toure, Clichy
Y Toure, Barry
Nasri, Aguero, Tevez
Meyler, Kyrgiakos, Turner, Bardsley
Larsson, Cattermole, Gardner, McClean
Club captain Vincent Kompany looks to have recovered from a calf injury that has kept him out for three weeks, but the Etihad Stadium showdown will come too soon for Joleon Lescott who has a groin strain. Expect Micah Richards to shift back over the right back at the expense of Pablo Zabaleta.
Sunderland will be without defender Wayne Bridge, who is ineligible to play against his parent club. John O’Shea is a doubt after a knee injury forced him off in the club’s 3-1 win over QPR last Saturday. Wes Brown, Titus Bramble, Kieran Richardson and Kieren Westwood are all unlikely to feature for Martin O’Neill’s men as they recover from injuries.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City has won every single home league game this season so far in a run of 20 consecutive home victories. Their only two losses at the Etihad Stadium this season has been against Manchester United and Liverpool in the FA Cup and League Cup, respectively.
- Although, the Blues are favorites to triumph on Saturday, the team will not have forgotten its injury-time 1-0 defeat at the Stadium of Light on New Year's Day.
- Nicklas Bendtner (pictured right) has scored three goals in his last four Premier League matches. He had scored three in 18 top flight matches for Sunderland prior to this run.
- Should Carlos Tevez be named in the starting XI it will be his first league start for the Citizens since Sept. 10 at home to Wigan Athletic. Sergio Aguero scored a hat trick to down the Latics 3-0 on that day.
- Having been knocked out of the FA Cup on Tuesday with a 2-0 loss at home to Everton in a quarterfinal replay, the Black Cats look to have lost their final chance of Europa League soccer this season. Martin O’Neill’s side sit 10 points behind sixth placed Newcastle United with only eight games remaining.
- David Silva has five goals and 14 assists to his name in the league this season, but his last seven top flight appearances have yielded just the solitary assist.
- A win for Manchester City will put it top of the Premier League table on goal difference, although Manchester United would retake the position with a win or a draw at Blackburn Rovers on Monday night.
- Sunderland has not won away from the Stadium of Light in the top flight since a 1-0 win at Stoke City on February 4. It has not scored more than one goal on its travels in a league match since a 4-1 thrashing of Wigan in January.