The United States and Ghana may not face each other very often, but there is surely a rivalry between the two nations that will meet Monday at 6 p.m. ET (ESPN) in World Cup Group G action in Natal, Brazil.
The Black Stars have sent the Americans home in the previous two World Cups, but a defeat won’t mean elimination this time for either side. However, considering they have Germany and Portugal as next opponents, this is a game both need to win to have a chance of surviving what many consider the Group of Death.
- Ghana has met USA in each of their two previous World Cups, winning 2-1 on both occasions (2006 group, 2010 second round).
- Indeed, the USA was knocked out of the 2010 World Cup by Ghana; the last team to face the same opponent in consecutive World Cup games was Brazil and Scotland, which lost to the South Americans in 1990 before facing them in their 1998 opener (they didn’t qualify in 1994).
- Four of Ghana’s previous nine World Cup goals have come against USA.
- The USA has only kept two clean sheets in its last 23 games at the World Cup.
- Ghana scored more goals than any other team in the 2014 African World Cup qualifiers (25).
- No player scored more goals than Ghana’s Asamoah Gyan in the 2014 African World Cup qualifiers (6). The former Sunderland man has also scored four and assisted two of Ghana’s nine World Cup goals, and netted the winner against USA in 2010.
- USA boss Jurgen Klinsmann played 17 games and scored 11 goals at the World Cup with Germany. This is his second World Cup as head coach, having led his home nation to third place in 2006.
- Landon Donovan has been left out of the USA Squad for the 2014 World Cup. He is USA’s top scorer at World Cups with five goals; he has scored three of its last four at the competition.
- Gyan has attempted more shots at the last two World Cup finals combined than any other player (39).
- The United States entered the CONCACAF qualification campaign at the third round stage. The Americans won their group stage in the third round before winning the final round (the hex).
- The U.S. won more games in the hex than any other side (7), while also scoring more goals than each of the other five sides in the group table (15).
- Clint Dempsey was USA's top scorer in qualifying, netting eight goals.
- The USA's only three defeats in the whole qualifying process were away at Costa Rica, Honduras and Jamaica.
Stats provided by Opta