Despite their exit from the Africa Cup of Nations to Burkina Faso on Sunday, the Spurs forward has said that he has no plans to retire from international football
The Tottenham striker has had a tense relationship with Togo's football governing body, which culminated in him threatening not to play in this year's AFCON tournament after accusing his country's bosses of being incompetent.
He was left out of the initial squad but was later brought back at the insistence of the head of the Togo Football Federation. The 28-year-old also previously quit international football after a gun attack on the national side's team bus by Angolan militants ahead of the 2010 AFCON, but was persuaded to return later in the year.
However, despite his strained relationship with the Togolese authorities, Adebayor believes that football in his homeland is now heading in the right direction.
"I'm still young, so whenever my country needs me I'll be up for it because I've started something and I have to finish it," he told BBC Sport.
"We were stopped in the quarterfinals - maybe next time we'll be in the final and win it. So for me, it's never finished while I have the chance to win something."
The forward added: "It [the future] is looking good, with all the problems before coming to AFCON, and we've showed character, good face and showed we are a team that can play good football.
"I think I have done my best and physically I'm exhausted, but that's football. It's a tough one for all the players, for myself, for everyone, but life goes on."