The total body count has risen to four.The Togo bus shooting in Cabinda has left three more dead, according to various French sources. In addition to the so far unnamed local bus driver who perished on Friday, assistant coach Abalo Amelete, press officer Stanislas Ocloo, and reserve goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale are said to have passed away.
Obilale, a 25-year-old who represented French amateur side GSI Pontivy, was one of two players reported to have suffered gunshot wounds during the Friday attack. He has apparently not survived his injuries, although this is not fully confirmed
Pontivy coach Alain Le Dour told L'Equipe, "We were called and told this information, but it is not yet formal.
"It's difficult to get precise information. Yesterday we didn't know where he'd been shot. Then we heard he'd been operated upon successfully and there was talk of his being transferred to South Africa. But officially we don't know anything else."
The other player shot was was 22-year-old centre-back Serge Akakpo of Romania's FC Vaslui. He underwent surgery on Friday and is thought to be recovering.
Official details have yet to be disclosed regarding the fates of the assistant coach and the press officer, but it is thought that they died before Obilale, making a total of four deaths.
The Sparrow Hawks are said to be preparing to return to Lome, the Togolese capital, having abandoned the African Cup of Nations tournament.
Reports indicate that prior to leaving the country, the Togolese delegation have been attempting to persuade Ghana and the Ivory Coast - two other teams based in the breakaway province of Cabinda - to quit the competition.
Nonetheless the African Cup of Nations itself is still set to go ahead, starting with tomorrow's opening match between Angola and Mali.
For the latest news and updates from
- Togo To Quit African Nations Cup
- Emmanuel Adebayor: 'We Saw Our Deaths'
- CAF Confirm That African Cup Of Nations 2010 Will Go Ahead
- Original Report: Togo Team Bus Fired Upon; Driver Killed, At Least Two Players Shot
- African Nations Cup Comment: After Shock Togo Bus Attack, The Games Need To Be Moved From Cabinda
- The Cabinda Conflict: Background To The Togo Bus Shooting