thumbnail Hello,
Bayern dismisses Cuadrado rumors

Bayern dismisses Cuadrado rumors

Getty Images

The winger has been linked with a host of top clubs on the back of an impressive World Cup, but he will not be joining the Bundesliga champions.

Bayern Munich sporting director Mathias Sammer has described rumors linking the club with a move for Fiorentina star Juan Cuadrado as "nonsense".

The winger was one of the stand-out performers at the World Cup in Brazil, as he helped Colombia to the quarterfinals of the competition.

WORLD CUP: Beautiful people | Germany homecoming

Since then he has been linked with a host of big clubs, including Bayern and Barcelona, but Sammer has laughed off reports he is on their wish list. 

"The rumors about Cuadrado are absolute nonsense. If all speculation were true, we would have a 57-man squad," he told TV1.

Midfielder Toni Kroos departed the Allianz Arena last week to join Real Madrid in a 20 million euro deal, but Sammer was non-committal about the prospect of bringing in a direct replacement.

He added: "We must consider if it's good enough or if we will do anything further." 

Bayern's World Cup stars will have just three weeks to recover before beginning the defense of the Bundesliga crown against Wolfsburg on August 22.

CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has criticized rival clubs and accused them of trying to "hurt" his side for failing to grant a later start date for the division, and Sammer admits he is concerned about the fitness of several players.

"I am afraid because the mental and physical burden could lead to injury concerns," he said.

Related

From the web

From the web