thumbnail Hello,

Suarez denies saying that he's staying at Liverpool

The Uruguay international had been angling for a move away from Anfield, but seemed to have settled on staying. Now he says he never said he would stay.

Original story updated on Aug. 14, at 12:16 p.m. ET -- Liverpool striker Luis Suarez seemed to have performed a sensational u-turn over his future and insisted that he will remain at Anfield.

The Uruguay international has been eager to leave England, aggrieved by his treatment from the British media, but the Reds were unwilling to let their star player leave.

Arsenal, where participation in the Champions League appealed to Suarez, pushed hard to sign the 26-year-old, though a bid of 42 million pounds - which would have smashed the club's transfer record - was rejected.

Earlier in the day the former Ajax front man appears to have finally accepted Liverpool's no-sale stance, and was reported as saying that the club's passionate fan base had convinced him to remain on Merseyside.

"Right now, because of all the love of the fans, I will be staying," Uruguayan newspaper El Observador quoted him as having said.

But Suarez has come out to say that he never made those remarks.

"I didn't say it," Suarez told journalists following Uruguay's 4-2 win over Japan.

The quick turnaround shouldn't be particularly shocking given the nature of Suarez' transfer saga, with Liverpool intent on keeping him in the fold and the player ready to move on.

Follow GOAL.COM on

Related

From the web

From the web