The Chinese club slammed a Brazilian newspaper, which quoted coach Sergio Farias claiming interest in the former Ballon d'Or winner, stating there was never any interviewChinese club Guangzhou Fuli has rubbished a report claiming it was in the hunt for former Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldinho, who has since signed with Atletico Mineiro.
The 32-year-old Brazilian attacking midfielder, who parted ways with Flamengo last Friday, had been linked with Guangzhou Fuli after their coach Sergio Farias reportedly told Futebol Interior the club was interested in his services.
However, the ambitious Guangdong-based club, which currently sits second in the Chinese Super League, denied the link and said there was never any interview between Farias and Futebol Interior.
The Brazilian newspaper had reported the Chinese club would offer the former Barcelona man a contract worth approximately €20 million, which Fuli team manager Zhang Bin said was "impossible".
"We have no plan about inviting Ronaldinho, there is no contract. Brazilian media said Fuli would use €20m to invite him, it is impossible," Zhang told Football. "Farias said he never had an interview with Brazilian media. And he didn't know where it came from. The club needs some younger foreign players to join with us, 25-26-years-old is better. And we couldn't spend €20m for one single player. It is not our style."
Follow GOAL.COM USA on