thumbnail Hello,

Group H could open up on Monday.

Kick-Off: Monday, June 21, 16:00 CET.
Port Elizabeth Stadium, Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth.

Dazzling The World

Chile were one of the few impressive teams in the first round of matches in the group stage of the World Cup and indeed their football won over many admirers. In fact, Marcelo Bielsa's side were so good in their opening game against Honduras that most observers suggested that the 1-0 scoreline didn't reflect the true nature of the game.

Next up for Chile are Switzerland and indeed the South Americans know that this is going to be a far more difficult game than the Honduras match was. Switzerland's defensive football against Spain showed how watertight their backline can be and although Chile do have a very potent attackline, they will find it tough to breach into the Swiss citadel if the Europeans play the way they did in their opening game of the World Cup.

However, Chile know that a win for them could virtually assure their place in the last 16. The South Americans take on Spain in their final match of the group stage and will, therefore, be looking to seal three points from Monday's fixture.

Giant-Slaying Feat


Switzerland created the shock of the tournament so far as they defeated Spain in their opening game of Group H. It was only a 1-0 scoreline and the goal came because of defensive miscommunication at the back for Spain, but the manner in which the Swiss defended against arguably the most talented international football team on the planet was top class.

Having garnered three points from a fixture in which even a single point was supposed to be a Herculean task, the Swiss will now be hopeful of winning the group and avoiding World Cup favourites Brazil in the second round. Chile are a bit like Spain in their footballing philosophy in the sense that they tend to play attacking, attractive football and the Swiss will know what to expect.

However, Ottmar Hitzfield’s side shoudn't get complacent as Chile do possess a firepower that can breach their citadel. The Swiss are a very organised side but they do have certain weaknesses, which they should mend against the Chileans.



FORM GUIDE

Chile

June 16: Honduras 0-1 Chile (World Cup)

May 30: Chile 3-0 Israel (Friendly)

May 30: Chile 1-0 Northern Ireland (Friendly)

May 26: Chile 3-0 Zambia (Friendly)

May 16: Mexico 1-0 Chile (Friendly)


Switzerland

June 16: Spain 0-1 Switzerland (World Cup)

Jun 5: Switzerland 1-1 Italy (Friendly)

Jun 1: Switzerland 0-1 Costa Rica (Friendly)

March 3: Switzerland 1-3 Uruguay (Friendly)

November 14: Switzerland 0-1 Norway (Friendly)


TEAM NEWS


Chile

Striker Humberto Suazo is likely to return to the starting line-up as he appears to have recovered from a hamstring injury. This means that Jorge Valdivia will be relegated to the bench.

Probable Line-up (4-2-3-1): Bravo, Isla, Medel, Ponce, Vidal; Carmona, Millar; Sanchez, Fernandez, Beausejour; Suazo

Switzerland

Defender Philippe Senderos is out of the game against Chile injured and is likely to be replaced by Steve von Bergen. Striker Alexander Frei and midfielder Valon Behrami have recovered from injury but they might not get starting berths against the South Americans.

Probable Line-up (4-4-2): Benaglio, Lichtsteiner, Grichting, Von Bergen, Ziegler; Barnetta, Inler, Huggel, Fernandes; Derdiyok, Nkufo


PLAYERS TO WATCH


Alexis Sanchez (Chile)

The Udinese attacker was sensational against Honduras in their opening game of the World Cup and he will be looking to build on that. Chile play in a very attacking mode and indeed Alexis Sanchez's dribbles down the wings and shots from distance will be huge tests for the Swiss defenders.

Diego Benaglio (Switzerland)

The Swiss goalkeeper was brilliant against Spain as he made a number of match-winning saves. While at the other end Iker Casillas failed to organise his backline and stay calm, Benaglio kept his composure and stood his ground. Like Spain, Chile too play attacking football and it will be especially interesting to see how Benaglio copes on Monday.


PREDICTION

It promises to be a very intriguing battle and is a close call to make. The Castrol World Cup match predictor makes Chile the favourites for the match, giving them a 41% chance of winning, while a win for Switzerland is put at 29% and a draw at 30%, which is what is the most likely scoreline.

Chile 1-1 Switzerland


Think you can do better than our expert? Place a bet now on the match with Goal.com’s official betting partner Titanbet.

Who will come out on top? Check out Castrol Football's 2010 World Cup Match Predictor.


The 2010 World Cup is finally upon us, so keep up to date with all the news at Goal.com's World Cup homepage and join Goal.com USA's Facebook fan page!

Related

From the web

From the web