The site coordinator of the planned World Cup 2014 venue Andres Sanchez was unable to pinpoint the cause of the accident but claims the structure is unaffected
A giant crane gave way as workers were in the process of putting the final part of the roof on Corinthians Arena, which is set to play host to the opening game of World Cup 2014 on Wednesday.
Sanchez, who was the venue's site coordinator during the building process, says it is not yet known why or how the incident occurred and apologized on behalf of the club and construction company Odebrecht.
"The cause of this accident is still being investigated by the authorities so it is hard to say," he told reporters at a press conference. "What we know for sure is that the main structure has not been affected. It was the same piece that had been installed last week on the north stand and today unfortunately we had this incident.
"Corinthians and Odebrecht will wait until further analysis and investigation before presenting a new schedule and timescale for completion. We are extremely sorry about it as every Brazilian is. We took all safety measures that were possible but unfortunately there were those two fatalities.
"We are all very sorry but we will give all assistance required by the families. This is the least we can do. I have not much more to say. I hope you understand the pain we are feeling. Corinthians and Odebrecht are deeply sorry. This is a tough moment for us."
Odebrecht operations manager Frederico Barbosa insists safety is paramount and all rules were adhered to and is at a loss as to what went wrong on Wednesday.
"We have a specialized provider that operates those cranes. Everything is coordinated by this specialized company. They respect all the necessary safety rules," he said.
"That crane capacity was three times bigger than the metallic structure weight. So we are now waiting for the investigation but I can assure that everything was done in accordance with the safety rules."