The Sounders star is tops in MLS salaries, while Toronto FC and the LA Galaxy are the only teams to have three players making more than $1 million.Clint Dempsey of the Seattle Sounders is the highest paid player in MLS in 2014, according to recently released figures by the MLS Players Union.
At $6.695 million in guaranteed compensation this season, the 31-year-old just beat out international teammate and Toronto FC star Michael Bradley, who is the second highest paid MLS player at $6.5 million.
Bradley's teammate Jermain Defoe is at $6.18 million, and the top five was rounded out by LA Galaxy teammates Landon Donovan at $4.583 million and Robbie Keane at $4.5 million.
The rest of the MLS millionaire club is as follows, with numbers in guaranteed compensation:
6. Thierry Henry, New York Red Bulls: $4.35 million
7. Tim Cahill, New York Red Bulls: $3.63 million
8. Marco Di Vaio, Montreal Impact: $2.6 million
9. Obafemi Martins, Seattle Sounders: $1.75 million
10. Pedro Morales, Vancouver Whitecaps: $1.41 million
11. Gilberto, Toronto FC: $1.21 million
12. Omar Gonzalez, LA Galaxy: $1 million
The union figures do not include performance bonuses and can also potentially be higher, as salary teams "buy down" with allocation money isn't figured into the numbers.