The American goalkeeper looked to have lost his status as Spurs' first-choice shot-stopper to Hugo Lloris, but could regain his place when the Blues visit White Hart Lane.
The American shot stopper saw his record run of 310 consecutive Premier League appearances ended as summer signing Hugo Lloris was chosen to start against Aston Villa earlier this month.
However, Villas-Boas has suggested the 41-year-old could be handed a return to action when the Blues visit White Hart Lane on Saturday.
"They compete for a position," he told ESPN. "In the end, we have made Brad the No.1 for the beginning of the season and we still see Brad as No.1, a player who has been tremendous in goal for us. We respect that. Hugo has been tremendous for us in exactly the same manner. It is obviously a decision I have to take, which I will take [on Friday] and in the future.
"Certainly, Brad has been tremendous, we respect that, he is looking in form, as Hugo is. He has done brilliantly this week for France. So competition will continue between the two. The decision will be left before the game."
The Portuguese manager went on to admit that Friedel was bitterly disappointed to see his eight-year run of games ended.
"We spoke about it before," he said. "In the end, it was difficult for him, not because of the consecutive run - he was looking good. It was not on performance that we made the switch, that's for sure.
"We had the opportunity to give Hugo a consecutive run of four games - including the two national team games like it happened. We are extremely happy about the fact we did. It gave him the first impact of Premier League football. But, as a great professional, he has to move on from that."
Follow GOAL.COM USA on