Toronto 5-1 Aguila: Reds rain goals in Champions League opener

Toronto FC ran away with its CONCACAF Champions League opener on Wednesday night, grabbing a 5-1 win over visiting Salvadoran side C.D. Aguila.
TORONTO - A tired C.D. Aguila side posed little opposition for Toronto FC, as the Canadian champion steamrolled to a 5-1 victory to open Group 1 play of CONCACAF Champions League at BMO Field on Wednesday night.

Luis Silva scored one and added two assists to lead his side to the most lopsided home win in club history. Reggie Lambe found the back of the net twice, and Terry Dunffield and Ryan Johnson had one goal each.

The visitors gave Toronto all sorts of space from the opening whistle, and TFC took full advantage of it, getting chances early and often. It didn't take long for the Reds to open the scoring, with Silva nodding home a Torsten Frings corner kick in the ninth minute.

Less than 10 minutes later, Silva played the role of provider, combining on a deft give-and-go sequence with Lambe that set the Bermudan in for Toronto's second goal of the night.

It looked like the floodgates were set to open, with Toronto attacking in waves despite having a two-goal advantage. However, a mishandled free kick in the 37th minute by TFC 'keeper Milos Kocic allowed Aguila's Yaikel Perez to tap in from inside the six yard box, giving the visitors a lifeline.

It was short-lived, though, as just three minutes after Aguila pulled to within one, Dunfield knocked in Toronto's third of the night, latching onto a driven ball into the box by TFC left back Ashtone Morgan.

Toronto would take the 3-1 lead into the halftime break, although it could have been far worse for the Salvadorans as TFC had 13 shots in the first 45 minutes alone.

The second half started in the same fashion as the first, with the home side on the front foot. Only three minutes after the restart, Lambe collected a Morgan pass 20 yards from goals and strode in unopposed, blasting a low shot into the near corner.

Toronto would score once more, with TFC's fifth coming off the foot of Johnson, who ran onto a through ball from Silva and rounded the onrushing Aguila goalkeeper for the easy finish in the 58th minute.

The final half hour saw both sides use the full allotment of substitutions as the result was well in hand. The home side could have found more goals if not for some unrefined finishing, but the 5,324 in attendance didn't mind.

Toronto's next Champions League match is Aug. 28 versus Santos Laguna of Mexico.