Lyon owner Jean-Michel Aulas says Newcastle are interested in signing Bafetimbi Gomis and the club are waiting from an offer from Alan Pardew's men.
Pardew revealed on July 20 that the Premier League side were tracking the striker, with the club keen to bolster their attacking options with just Papiss Cisse and 31-year-old Shola Ameobi their only recognised first-team centre-forwards.
Gomis, who scored 16 goals in 37 games last season, has just one year left to run on his current contract and previously announced his desire to leave the Ligue 1 side.
"There is an interest of Newcastle for Gomis. We wait from them to come to us with an offer," Aulas told Canal+.
There are question marks over Cisse's future at St. James' Park after the striker opted not to take part in Newcastle's pre-season tour of Portugal.
The striker is in conflict with the club over their new shirt, which features pay-day loan company sponsor, due to his religious beliefs.