The star forward has dazzled in La Liga, but there are still questions about whether or not he'll represent El Tri at this summer's World Cup.
Carlos Vela has once again suggested that the door isn’t closed to a return to the Mexican national team.
The Real Sociedad player gave a detailed interview late last year with Mexico’s Life & Style publication, indicating he could yet play at the World Cup, despite not having featured for El Tri in almost three years.
“Why not?” he said. “We’ll see. I’ve previously said no, but I’ve never definitively shut the door, nor said I wouldn’t return.”
The 24-year-old went on to add that he would be the one to decide when the moment is right for a return, something that the Mexican press picked up on, with Record publishing the headline: “I’ll decide when I return to El Tri.”
Vela responded via Twitter on Monday, writing that “not everything you see in the press is true, I’m not who will decide who goes to El Tri and who doesn’t.”
The former Chivas player also spoke in the interview about his pride of being Mexican and saying he doesn’t forget his roots, despite moving to Europe as a teenager.
“Nobody can ever doubt that,” he said.
El Tri coach Miguel Herrera is set to travel to Europe in the coming days to talk to and watch Mexico’s Europe-based players and gave a strong indication in Monday’s news conference that a return for Vela is possible.
“I’ve spoken to various players about calling up Vela,” Herrera said. “The response was that he is welcome if he comes with desire and dedication.”