The governing body has released its list of cities hosting the Gold Cup which includes eight new venues.CONCACAF has announced its 13 venues for the upcoming 2013 Gold Cup tournament and eight new venues will take part in the soccer tournament that features teams from North America, Central America and the Caribbean.
The Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA, M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, MD, Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver, CO, Rentschler Field in East Hartford, CT, BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, TX, Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, FL, JELD-WEN Field in Portland, OR and Rio Tinto Stadium in Salt Lake City, UT are the new venues featured in the tournament which will take place on July 7-28.
CONCACAF is hoping to build on the success that saw the 2011 Gold Cup draw over 600,000 fans.
"We would like to thank all cities and venues in the United States for their interest in our Confederation's Gold Cup and congratulate the ones that have been selected to host its 2013 edition." said CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb on the organization's website. "CONCACAF is looking forward to a successful tournament, working in close partnership with both stadium and local authorities, while expanding the reach of our competition to a larger number of fans in more locations throughout the United States."
The event also returns to five venues from its previous editions including Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX (2009, 2011); Soldier Field in Chicago, IL (2007, 2009, 2011); Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA (1991, 2002, 2011); Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ (2011) and CenturyLink Field in Seattle, WA (2005, 2009). Overall, the venues of the 2013 Gold Cup average 57,000 fans per stadium.
So far, 11 of the 12 participating national teams have qualified for this year's tournament: Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago and the United States. The final spot will be decided on Friday in the fifth-place match of the 2013 UNCAF Copa Centroamericana between Guatemala and Panama, which is being held in Costa Rica.
Here is the list of the venues participating:
HOST CITY - VENUE (Venue Location)
• Atlanta - Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA)
• Baltimore - M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, MD)
• Chicago - Soldier Field (Chicago, IL)
• Dallas - Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, TX)
• Denver - Sports Authority Field at Mile High (Denver, CO)
• Hartford - Rentschler Field (East Hartford, CT)
• Houston - BBVA Compass Stadium (Houston, TX)
• Los Angeles - Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA)
• Miami - Sun Life Stadium (Miami Gardens, FL)
• New York- Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ)
• Portland - JELD-WEN Field (Portland, OR)
• Salt Lake City - Rio Tinto Stadium (Sandy, UT)
• Seattle - CenturyLink Field (Seattle, WA)