Even though the Montreal Impact will not take part in the Major League Soccer playoffs, the team will still face postseason competition this year.
The Impact announced Friday that it will be embarking on a tour of Italy immediately following the conclusion of the MLS regular season, with friendlies against at least two Serie A sides already booked.
Montreal will face Bologna on Nov. 8, and a week later the newest MLS side with take on Fiorentina. The team hinted that there may be more exhibition games scheduled during the tour, set to run for 12 days starting on Nov. 5.
“This trip will give us the opportunity to extend our season by three weeks and cut down on the down time prior to the opening of training camp for the 2013 season,” Impact sporting director Nick De Santis said in a statement. “We would like to thank the two clubs for giving us the opportunity to organize these games, despite the fact that they are in midseason of their championships.
"This trip will also help us forge a stronger relationship with two prestigious organizations and could open doors for players wishing to play in North America one day.”
One former prominent Bologna player already features for Montreal - striker Marco Di Vaio. He joined the Impact earlier this year and he is still held in high regard by the Serie A club.
"It will be an honor and a pleasure to see Marco once again and meet his new teammates,” Bologna president Albano Guaraldi said. “For everything Marco Di Vaio meant to Bologna, the city and its team, we are very pleased to be able to spend an afternoon celebrating with him.”
Montreal has two games remaining in its inaugural MLS campaign.