The USA U-20 midfielder adds to the Fire midfield and will look to earn more playing time than he had in Liga MX.The Chicago Fire announced they have acquired U.S. youth international midfielder Benji Joya in a weighted lottery.
Joya, 20, joins the Fire on a one-year loan with a transfer option from Liga MX side Club Santos Laguna, where he struggled to find consistent first-team playing time.
“Benji is a talented, young player,” said Chicago Fire head coach and director of soccer Frank Yallop. “He has international experience and will be a great addition as we continue to build and strengthen our squad.”
The San Jose, Calif. native started and went the full match in two of the USA's three matches in the 2013 U-20 World Cup.
The Fire were one of three teams in the lottery for Joya, and the club had a 68 percent chance of winning his rights. The Seattle Sounders (29 percent) and Real Salt Lake (3 percent) were the other two teams.