Monterrey head coach Jose “el Profe” Cruz admitted Friday that a disagreement earlier in the week with assistant Martin Salcedo became heated, leading to punches being thrown between the pair.
The disagreement took place on Tuesday in the first training session in the buildup to next month’s Club World Cup, according to various press reports.
“I have to say that it was a lamentable incident that shouldn’t happen at any time, in any place,” said Cruz, sporting a black eye in Friday’s press conference.
Cruz added he has been punished by the Rayados directors.
“I’m deserving of a big fine and I’ve not only apologized to the directors, but also to the players,” stated Cruz.
The former Jaguares coach said Salcedo hasn’t returned to training since the incident and added his future is still to be decided on.
Monterrey kicks off its Club World Cup campaign on Dec. 14 in Morocco against either Morocco’s Raja Casablanca or New Zealand’s Auckland City.
In recent weeks, Argentine Marcelo Bielsa has been linked with Monterrey in the Mexican press.