Despite disappointing results in the CONCACAF Hexagonal and Confederations Cup, Mexico will stay the course with Jose Manuel de la Torre at the helm.It’s Chepo or bust for Mexico.
The Mexico soccer federation (FMF) said it will not be changing coaches and doesn’t have any alternatives in mind to replace under-pressure Jose Manuel “Chepo” de la Torre.
“There is no Plan B, I’m confident that we will qualify for the World Cup and we will win the Gold Cup,” stated national teams director Hector Gonzalez Inarritu on Wednesday in a press conference.
Chepo himself added that there is no crisis, saying that El Tri is in fine standing in the CONCACAF Hexagonal, despite limping to five draws in six matches and not scoring in any of the three qualifiers that have been played at Estadio Azteca.
“We are inside the three (CONCACAF) qualification places,” said De la Torre. “Wins at home will give us the ticket.”
Mexico’s form has been below-par of late, with just one win in six World Cup qualifying games so far in the Hexagonal stage and losses against Italy and Brazil in the Confederations Cup.
With El Tri’s Under-20 side without a win in two games in the World Cup, the Gold Cup is the next target what has been a poor summer so far for Mexico’s national teams. There may be a boost, however, with the FMF trying to get permission for striker Raul Jimenez to join the Gold Cup squad, even though he wasn’t in the provisional 33-man preliminary list. Fernando Arce, David Cabrera and Omar Bravo have all pulled out the squad prior to the tournament.
As for another hot-button issue facing Mexico , the notion of foreign-born Mexicans playing for El Tri was brought up to de la Torre, with the manager stating that he doesn’t have a problem with it.
“The doors are open to all those that are available and want to contribute to the national team,” de la Torre said.