Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, the club's vice president and director of football, hyped up the Mexican's arrival by stating he had been in the hunt for two years.
Giovani dos Santos is finally on his way out of London. The Mexican international exits England after four dismal seasons with Tottenham to land with La Liga's Mallorca.
Dos Santos completed his transfer on deadline day, ending speculation that he would ride out his contract at Spurs and elect to move as a free agent as early as January of 2013.
Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, Mallorca's director of football, spoke highly of his new signing, noting that he had been chasing the player for the last two seasons.
"I tried to bring him two years ago along with his brother," Serra Ferrer said during a press conference. "I'm very happy with my staff for pulling this off." The move fulfills a longstanding desire for Dos Santos to return to Spain, as the former Barcelona player had done well during a loan spell with Racing in 2011.
"[Joaquin] Caparros really likes Giovani because he's able to play different positions," said Serra Ferrer about the club manager's reaction to the signing.
Mallorca, a team that had accumulated as much as 85 million euros in debt according to reports before a new ownership group took over in 2010, was cautious about the financial aspect of the signing.
"Mallorca purchased 50 percent of Gio's overall rights," Serra Ferrer explained.
The signing itself was somewhat of a shock, as Mallorca was linked to Nikola Zigic previously. With the Birmingham striker unavailable, Serra Ferrer turned to Giovani.
"Giovani was not 'Plan B'. Nikola Zigic hasn't been able to sort out his situation with Birmingham until midday today," explained the former manager.
Mallorca is expected to present Dos Santos to the press on Monday, Sept. 3.
Follow ERIC GOMEZ on