Chivas Survive Chilly Salt Lake, Tie RSL 1-1

Two red cards highlighted Chivas' 1-1 tie against Real Salt Lake in an international friendly on Wednesday.
Chivas traveled to the Rio Tinto stadium to face off against Salt Lake City for a midweek friendly. The term friendly was taken lightly as the game turned into a hard fought battle with a player on each side being sent off before the end of the first half. In the end the teams battled to a one-one draw.  

Salt Lake City provided the danger in the 11th minute when Espindola sent in a cross. It was then headed by David Horst, but Luis Michel sailed left to save and give away a corner kick.  

The first goal came from Real Salt Lake in the 16th minute. ‘Pato’ Araujo lost the ball for Chivas, and Yura Movsisyan took advantage of the mistake. The Real Salt Lake player then sent in the ball for a waiting Espindola outside the box. Espindola then took a shot with his left foot towards and easily sent the ball rolling past Luis Michel and gave the home team the lead.  

The teams continued to  battle during the first half and it became a physical game with countless fouls. It finally culminated with Edgar ‘Tepa’ Solis being sent off in extra time for an altercation with Salt Lake City player Jamison Olave. A few seconds later the Salt Lake City player was given a red card as well.

It didn’t take too long into the second half for Chivas to respond. Esparza leveled it up for the Mexican team in the 52nd minute. He made a run down the right and received the ball just inside the ball to send it over Nick Ramando for the 1-1 score.

Salt Lake City then tried to respond with a shot in the 59th minute. Pablo Campos had an opportunity that sent Hugo Hernandez, the substitute for Luis Michel during the second half, left and kept the score level.  

Then in the 72nd minute Nat Borchers had an opportunity to put Real Salt Lake in front. Borchers headed a ball towards the top of the net, but Hugo Hernandez was there to make the timely save and keep the score level.  

Finally, it was Chivas who had a chance. Ramon Morales received a ball on the left, just outside the penalty box and took a shot that ended up rattling the post in the 74th minute.  

In the 78th minute RSL had a great opportunity. The ball easily slid past the Chivas defense to Robbie Findley waiting on the right outer corner of the box. He took a shot, but it was initially stopped by Hugo Hernandez. The ball continued to roll across goal, and Findley chased after, but it was just cleared by a Chivas defender.  

Chivas had a late chance into extra time. Ramon Morales took a free kick and it was headed by Antonio Salazar. Salazar’s effort went wide of Rimando’s goal and the game ended with a 1-1 draw.