thumbnail Hello,

Toluca rode three goals in the first half hour to crush Santos.

Both teams were coming off the opposite ends of the spectrum with contrasting results from the previous week. Toluca had lost against Monterrey, while Santos had pulled of a win against Cruz Azul. The teams came up against each other and in the end it was Toluca who had the better day winning 3-0 with all goals coming before the half hour mark.

Toluca started off well with Esquivel getting deep on the right before sending it back to Sinha, who was waiting on the edge of the Santos area. With a powerful shot Sinha sent it to the top left corner of the net, easily beating Oswaldo Sanchez from distance in the sixth minute.

In the 10th minute, Sinha had another great chance. The player took a free kick that was barely swatted away by Sanchez’s outstretched hand that prevented a goal.

It was then Santos’ turn to have a chance at equalizing in the 15th minute. Vuoso received a pass as he made his way into the Toluca area, catching the defenders off guard. Hernan Cristante quickly came out and blocked Vuoso as he tried to shoot over the goalkeeper, keeping the score at 1-0 for Toluca.  

The second goal of the game arrived soon after. In the 21st minute, Carlos Esquivel made his way into Santos territory and came up against Sanchez, who blocked his first attempt at goal. Esquivel was ready as the ball rebounded and fell to him once more. He slotted it into the opponent’s goal for a 2-0 lead.  

A few minutes later, Hernan Cristante quickly dished out the ball on a corner kick to Sinha, The playmaker passed to Nestor Calderon in the midfield, and he quickly sped down his lane. Calderon was able to weave through the Santos blocks and send it past an outstretched Sanchez in the 29th minute for a 3-0 lead.

Early in the second half, Toluca could have added a fourth. Sinha once more made his way down the field, passing to Esquivel. Esquivel found Hector Mancilla making his way unmarked into the area. Sanchez was able to save thanks to bad control by Mancilla and the the goal was prevented in the 55th minute.  

Santos’ Vladimir Marin came close in the 72nd minute with a shot that went whizzing just past the post in one of the few chances created by the team.

Near the end Toluca came close to scoring. In the 89th minute, De La Torre was in front of goal, and Oswaldo Sanchez was caught off his goal. The ball landed awkwardly and he was unable to fully control, but the Santos defense quickly arrived and cleared.

Andrea Martinez,

For all the latest Mexican news, visit's Mexico page