thumbnail Hello,

Goal has learned that the Swiss coach will not be returning to Stade Saputo next year. Schallibaum's contract was set to automatically renew due to Montreal's playoff appearance.

It appears that the Marco Schällibaum era at the Montreal Impact is over.

Sources told Goal USA this week that the Montreal Impact and the Swiss native have parted ways.

A late-season collapse, which saw the Impact fall to fifth place in the Eastern Conference and then emphatically eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, put Schallibaum’s tenure as coach in jeopardy.

In a press conference last month, club president Joey Saputo and sporting director Nick De Santis said that they were no longer sure if the 51-year-old would return in 2014, and that they would take the time to decide his future. Despite the fact that Schallibaum’s contract with the Impact was automatically renewed for a second season after the team qualified for the MLS postseason for the first time, it seems as if the search for a new coach is on.

When asked about the coaching situation earlier this week, De Santis told RDS that everything would be sorted out before the team’s training camp opens Jan. 27. Assistant coach Mauro Biello, who was one of the candidates to replace Jesse Marsch last season, is a strong favorite to lead the team next year.

Saputo and De Santis were not available for comment Friday.

The Vancouver Whitecaps, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas and Chivas USA are also looking for a new head coach. 

Follow GOAL.COM on

Related

From the web