The U.S. youth international defender/midfielder, who turned 18 last week, will play for the Portland Timbers, who were awarded his MLS rights in a three-team weighted lottery Tuesday morning.
Portland was the overwhelming favorite to land Fehr, with an 83.1 percent chance at his rights. Only the Seattle Sounders (15.5 percent) and San Jose Earthquakes (1.4 percent) were also vying the services of the 2011 Under-17 World Cup participant.
Fehr signed with MLS more than a month ago, revealed exclusively by Goal.com, and has spent time with the academy of Japanese side Tokyo Verdy 1969 and the U.S. Soccer U-17 residency program in addition to Swiss side FC Basel. He had also trained with the Timbers for three weeks in the fall while weighing his options. He maintains Japanese, Swiss and American eligibility.
“Mobi is a young, versatile player with a great deal of ability,” Timbers general manager Gavin Wilkinson said in a team statement. “After having the opportunity to see him in training with the club this past season, we know him to be a quality player and look forward to seeing his continued development.”
As a result of landing Fehr, Portland is prohibited from entering a player lottery for the rest of the 2013 season.