MLS bested its average attendance record set last season and draws the seventh-most fans on average compared to leagues around the world. Liga MX is sixth.Major League Soccer's growth in the stands continues after another record-setting season.
MLS bested its 2011 average attendance record of 17,844 by drawing an average of 18,807 fans to games this season, the league announced on Tuesday, a number that is seventh-most in the world when compared to other leagues. That number was heavily influenced by the Seattle Sounders, who drew a league record average of 43,144 to games at CenturyLink Field.
Overall, more than six million fans ventured to MLS stadiums during the regular season, and MLS trails Mexico's Liga MX by nearly 3,000 fans per game on average.
Here are the top 10 leagues based on average attendance around the world according to MLS figures:
1. German Bundesliga -- 42,387
2. English Premier League -- 35,719
3. Spanish La Liga -- 28,138
4. Italian Serie A -- 23,176
5. Argentine Primera Division -- 22,491
6. Liga MX -- 21,559
7. Major League Soccer -- 18,807
8. French Ligue 1 -- 18.731
9. Chinese Super League -- 18,702
10. Dutch Eredivisie -- 18,405