Reports have emerged on Thursday linking Italian CB Alessandro Nesta to struggling MLS side Toronto FCReports emerged Thursday that former AC Milan and Italy defender Alessandro Nesta is in talks to join Toronto FC during the current international transfer window.
According to Canadian Soccer News, Nesta turned his attention to TFC after negotiations with the New York Red Bulls fell through over the weekend. The 36-year-old centre back was spotted at Stade Saputo on Wednesday night taking in Toronto's 3-0 win over the Montreal Impact, and is said to have been a guest of TFC's for the night.
Nesta has made it known that he would like to continue his career in MLS after two decades in Serie A with Milan and Lazio. Before retiring from international play, he made 78 appearances for Italy's national team.
That the legendary centre back has been linked to Major League Soccer clubs goes against what he recently said about his prospects for playing in the North American circuit.
"I don't have a shot to play in MLS," Nesta told Goal.com last week. "I tried to play [in the league] but I never received any offers."
Toronto head coach Paul Mariner has been actively looking for back line help for the 2-10-2 side since taking over earlier this month, and stated over the weekend that he was specifically looking for reinforcements in central defence. The transfer window for Canada and the United States opened Wednesday and runs through July 27.
Goal.com has a new podcast! Goal Daily Podcast is a MUST for all soccer fans and discusses the very latest news and views. What’s more when you sign up the service is FREE for the first month and you can cancel anytime.