Colorado Rapids 3-2 Montreal Impact: Match marred by controversy

The Colorado Rapids went down to 10 men and scored two controversial goals against the expansion Montreal Impact to claim their sixth win of the season.

After losing to DC United and drawing Sporting Kansas City last week, Colorado was back to winning ways on Saturday with a 3-2 win against the Montreal Impact. Jeff Larentowicz and Drew Moor scored for the Rapids in the first half, while Jaime Castrillon scored the winning goal late in the second.

The loss is the Impact’s second in a row against a team that was playing with 10 men.

With a few good scoring opportunities and the better of possession, the Impact got off to a flying start in the first half and found the opening goal in the 14th minute through Patrice Bernier. Following an elegant backheel pass from the Brazilian Felipe, the local product was just able to chip the ball over goalkeeper Matt Pickens and into the Rapids' net.

But when Larentowicz converted a controversial penalty to tie the game for Colorado two minutes later, the momentum of the match quickly changed and the Rapids would add to their advantage in the 39th minute courtesy of an excellent Drew Moor header from a Martin Rivero free kick.

The Impact started the second half as well as they did the first and in the 48th minute, Bernier played a nice through ball for Andrew Wenger who slotted the ball past Pickens for his second goal of the season.

With the game tied at two, the Rapids made things difficult for themselves by going down a man in the 61st minute after Tyrone Marshall was given a second yellow for a late tackle on Felipe.

Despite having gone up a man, the Impact could not find the go ahead goal and Colorado would get the goal instead in the 83rd minute.

The goal came after referee Mark Kadlecik had whistled and signaled for a corner; he then let the play continue and the Rapids subsequently scored.

The Impact pressured Colorado to the end but the Rapids held on for the 3-2 victory.