Marco Di Vaio announced on Friday that he would be leaving Bologna at the end of the Serie A season with Montreal and MLS the likely destination.
After weeks of speculation, Marco Di Vaio held a press conference on Friday stating his intentions of leaving Bologna at the end of the Serie A season.
“I am here to announce that these will be my last two games with Bologna,” said Di Vaio. “I told the coach on Wednesday, the president tried to keep me yesterday, but the decision has been made.
“I spent four great years in Bologna, and I don’t want to feel like I’m a burden”.
The Rome native still has one year left on his contract with Bologna and admitted that there was an offer on the table from the Montreal Impact in MLS. Despite numerous reports during the week of a deal already having been concluded between the two parties, Di Vaio said that he has yet to accept the Impact’s offer.
“I received an interesting offer from the Impact and I’m considering it,” said Di Vaio. “I haven’t yet signed with the Impact, but there’s a concrete offer for one year-and-a-half."
Di Vaio will play his last home game against Napoli on Saturday and his last away game with Bologna a week later in Parma.
While Impact sporting director Nick De Santis refused this week to confirm whether or not a deal had been reached, the Impact are strongly expected to make an official announcement of the Italian’s signing within the month.
Di Vaio would become the Impact’s third Italian signing after defender Matteo Ferrari and forward Bernardo Corradi.