MLS Recap: TFC trounced, Heaps wins first, RSL hoofed by Goats

MLS offered up a few eyebrow-raising results on Saturday. recaps the league-wide action.
Toronto FC 0-3 San Jose Earthquakes

The San Jose Earthquakes battered Toronto FC 3-0 Saturday afternoon, as a Chris Wondolowski double made the Reds' 2012 home opener one they'd love to forget.

San Jose took the lead with just nine minutes gone. Sam Cronin floated in a cross from the edge of the area and Chris Wondolowki snuck in behind the TFC defense and was left unmarked to head home from six yards out.

The Earthquakes doubled their advantage on 56 minutes when Marvin Chavez was released down the right flank. His square ball rolled through the box and was met first-time by the left foot of Shea Salinas, who powered a strike past Milos Kocic to make it 2-0.

Toronto FC's fate was sealed just over 10 minutes later when Wondolowski scored his second after Cronin released Rafael Baca behind the TFC defense. The Mexican unselfishly found Wondolowski at the far post, and he had time to control and finish with his left foot from close range.

Though TFC's season got off to a flying start with an upset win against the LA Galaxy over two legs in the CONCACAF Champions League, it has now started its MLS campaign with two straight losses. Meanwhile, San Jose improves to 2-1-0.

Columbus Crew 2-0 Montreal Impact

The Columbus Crew grabbed a 2-0 win over the Montreal Impact on Saturday afternoon, with a penalty from Milovan Mirosevic and a header from Olman Vargas doing the damage.

Emilio Renteria set up the 30th minute penalty strike. The big striker did well to hold onto the ball and muscle his way into the area before being clipped by Felipe Martins. Mirosevic hammered home the penalty to give his side the first half lead.

Despite largely getting the better of play, Columbus had to wait until the 66th minute to put the match to bed. Shaun Francis did very well to get forward down the left and sent in a teasing cross for Vargas to head home.

In the 79th minute Bernardo Corradi had the best chance to get Montreal back into the match when he got in behind the defense, but he pulled his shot wide of the mark.

New England Revolution 1-0 Portland Timbers

It may have taken three matches for New England Revolution manager Jay Heaps to get his first win, but it took just 28 seconds for Saer Sène to open the scoring on Saturday against the Portland Timbers en route to a 1-0 victory.

With the match barely underway, New England's Chris Tierney sent a cross in from the left that the big striker headed home off the underside of the bar to give his side a very early lead.

Portland spent the next 89 minutes chasing the match to no avail. With Shalrie Joseph lined up as a center back, Portland's Kris Boyd was constantly under pressure when he received the ball. Ont he few occasions that Boyd did have chances, he came up short.

Joseph set New England's all-time mark for minutes played in the match and goalkeeper Matt Reis made his 1000th save, with both playing a major part in giving New England it's sixth straight win in home openers.

Chicago Fire 1-0 Philadelphia Union

The Chicago Fire got their first win of the 2012 MLS season with a 1-0 victory over the Philadelphia Union on Saturday night.

It was all Chicago from the start, and Dominic Oduro scored the only goal of the match in the 28th minute with a nasty header into the bottom corner from a Marco Pappa cross.

The Fire continued to press the pace and the Union struggled to match it, with the final ball lacking desperately for the away side. The Union came out much stronger in the second half, but Paolo Tornaghi in the Fire net dealt well with the couple of scoring chances the Union managed to create.

Chicago had several chances to put the match to bed with Oduro, Patrick Nyarko and Sebastián Grazzini causing the Union backline all kinds of problems. Oduro really should have iced the game in the 89th when he broke in clean on goal, only to have Zac MacMath come up with a big save in the Union goal.

Real Salt Lake 0-1 Chivas USA

A scrappy 72nd minute goal from Casey Townsend earned Chivas USA a win over Real Salt Lake on Saturday night.

In what was a very physical game between two Western Conference sides, the goals never seemed likely to flow. And, as expected, it took a bit of hard-nosed play for Townsend to open the scoring.

RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando looked set to deal with a cross in from the left, but Townsend did enough with his challenge to trouble Rimando, who put the ball on the ground rather than catching cleanly. The forward, keeping his wits, got a toe on the ball and poked it home between three RSL players, giving his side a lead late on.

Salt Lake pressed hard for the equalizer from that moment on, with Alvaro Saborio having two great chances. First, the forward had a clean look at a header from a free kick that he put wide before hitting the bar with a chipped effort on the counter.

Fabian Espindola had a great look of his own deep in stoppage time, but Dan Kennedy's sprawling save on that shot, along with several good punch clearances from corners, helped the visiting side hang on for the win.

Vancouver Whitecaps 0-0 D.C. United

In the same match, the Vancouver Whitecaps dropped their first points of the season while D.C. United earned its first. A 0-0 draw saw the points distributed equally.

Possession was cut down the middle. Scoring chances, however, favored the visitors. D.C. put three shots on target, luring some fine stops out of Joe Cannon; United 'keeper Joe Willis was spared from making any saves.

Cannon's best moment came midway through the second half. Hamdi Salihi drilled a low header on frame from a Dwayne De Rosario corner. Cannon's stiff wrist denied passage across the line, much to the delight of the 19,394 fans at B.C. Place.

Vancouver now has seven points from three games. D.C. has one.