MLS Recap: DeRo's Red Bull revenge, Beckham Olympic goal, huge RSL win

Dwayne De Rosario earned some revenge for being traded suddenly by the New York Red Bulls by scoring the winner against his old club.
New York Red Bulls 0-1 D.C. United

Last month, New York sent Dwayne De Rosario packing. This month, DeRo sent the Red Bulls a gift basket containing one defeat and one ferocious volley of a goal-against.

With New York first place in the East and coming off a 5-0 thrashing of Toronto, D.C. United visited Red Bull Arena as the underdog. It left, however, with the full three points. A sterling defensive display kept Red Bulls' attacking options at bay, with Bill Hamid, Clyde Simms and Brandon McDonald all putting in impressive shifts.

Tim Ream showed some initial defensive aptitude for the Red Bulls side with a series of good blocks. Just before halftime the U.S. international cleared a Charlie Davies shot off the line with Greg Sutton stranded.

Ream could do nothing about DeRo's blast early in the second half though. The Canadian received a flick from Josh Wolff, juked past his marker and uncorked a fierce volley which pinged off the far post on its way in.

Despite throwing numbers and men forward, New York struggled to find any midfield rhythm and the game quickly lost its wind. Only Davies' cynical kick out at Roy Miller livened up a boring encounter before a series of Red Bull free kicks in the remaining seconds ultimately proved fruitless.

Sporting Kansas City 1-1 Chivas USA

Sporting Kansas City netted a goal very late in the day to earn a share of the points with Chivas USA after the Goats had opened the scoring in the first half and held on until the dying minutes.

Nick LaBrocca got Chivas USA on the board 30 minutes in after a Justin Braun through-ball found LaBrocca's well-timed run in behind Sporting's back line. LaBrocca slotted home the finish, marking goal number 10,000 in Major League Soccer's history in all competitions, and for the majority of the remaining time it looked as though Chivas USA had a winner.

The goal is LaBrocca's sixth this season. In his previous four professional season, the midfielder had totaled just five.

But the home side never gave up hope, pushing the pace and racking up shots in the second half only to see most of them blocked before ever becoming dangerous.

Then, three minutes into stoppage time, Omar Bravo popped up with a header into the top corner, denying Chivas USA the three points and earning Sporting a late draw.

The draw keeps Sporting's run of 10 matches without a loss alive and well.

Houston Dynamo 2-0 Toronto FC

Houston notched its first win in a month, beating a struggling Toronto 2-0 in Texas.

Danny Cruz got things going with his first goal of the season. Alan Gordon thought he was fouled just outside the Dynamo box. As Gordon tugged at his socks and TFC complained, Brian Ching sent a leading ball up field for Cruz to run on to. Alone in on goal, Cruz put the ball off Stefan Frei's foot and into the back of the net.

Given the Canadians' woes this year, Dominic Kinnear thought it safe to haul off league assist leader Brad Davis just after the hour mark. Kinnear proved correct. With 10 minutes to go, Frei made two saves as TFC conceded a corner. His defense failed to clear, and the goalkeeper could do nothing about Geoff Cameron's point-blank blast to seal all three points.

Toronto now has one win in the past 12 matches.

Colorado Rapids 2-1 Vancouver Whitecaps

The Rapids put an end to their seven-game winless run at home with a 2-1 win over the Vancouver Whitecaps in Colorado.

Conor Casey opened the scoring in the first half with a near-post run to latch onto Jamie Smith's precise chip. The strike marked Casey's sixth in his last seven starts, including four in a row.

Despite a half-hour delay to the second half, the Rapids continued to dominate. Scott Palguta's and Camilo's goals canceled out each other in the second stanza.

The loss, Vancouver's fifth in a row, leaves the Whitecaps without a road victory in MLS and with only one win since Tommy Soehn took over as head coach nine matches ago.

Jordan Harvey, acquired midweek, made his Whitecaps debut, but picked up a booking which will cause him to miss the next match through suspension.

Real Salt Lake 2-0 FC Dallas

Second-half goals from Andy Williams and Fabian Espindola, along with one huge mistake from FC Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, were enough to help Real Salt Lake see off Dallas on Saturday night with a 2-0 win.

In what was arguably the biggest game of the weekend Dallas traveled to Rio Tinto to face off with fellow western power Real Salt Lake, and as would have been expected it was tough going for both sides throughout the night.

The first half came and went without goals, but RSL finally broke the deadlock just after the break. Alvaro Saborio won a free kick for the home side which resulted in Williams scoring a goal that Hartman would wish to have back. The goalkeeper let it slip through his body on what should have been a routine save.

Dallas couldn't find the way through RSL's defense and four minutes into stoppage time the home team put the game on ice, with Espindola finishing off Will Johnson's pass to give RSL a 2-0 lead and all three points.

Just before fulltime, Jason Kreis pulled Alvaro Saborio out of the match. The Costa Rican, visibly angry, mumbled to himself and headed straight down the tunnel and out of the stadium.

LA Galaxy 2-1 Chicago Fire

David Beckham set up one goal and curled in a corner for another as the Los Angeles Galaxy took a 2-1 win over the Chicago Fire.

The first half played out with no goals coming from either side, but it didn't take long for the fireworks to get going in the second half. Landon Donovan opened the scoring for the Galaxy in the 58th after a free kick from Beckham placed at the back post where the U.S. international climbed over a defender to head it home.

Chicago answered four minutes later with a header of its own from Cristian Nazarit, who rose to meet a cross from Patrick Nyarko and level the score at 1-1.

But Beckham would provide the decisive strike just four minutes after Chicago's goal. The English star curled a corner into the danger area where it evaded everybody and bounced into the back corner.

The match got chippy down the stretch with Chicago's Josip Mikulic picking up a red card from the bench after a series of hard fouls escalated into a bit of a scrum, but Chicago couldn't find the equalizer late and Los Angeles gained another three points.

San Jose Earthquakes 0-0 Philadelphia Union

The Earthquakes and Union played to an unimaginative scoreless draw in front of 9,794 fans at Buck Shaw Stadium. Though Philadelphia had the better chances, it could not find a way past Jon Busch, who put in a sterling performance to earn his side a point.

Philadelphia saw three points for the taking and pressed hard up the field in the early minutes, forcing a few miscues from the Earthquakes, but failing to write any clear chances. Simon Dawkins fired wide from 20 yards out in the clearest chance for San Jose in the half. Danny Mwanga, whose pace troubled San Jose all night long, nearly had the opener after he collected a ball at the edge of the area and got a shot off as Jon Busch forced him wide, but Bobby Burling was there to clear off the line.

The second half kicked off at an electric pace, as Ryan Johnson hit the corner of the crossbar less than three minutes off the restart. Chris Wondolowski forced two stops off Faryd Mondragon and Ryan Johnson tried a placed shot on the bounce, only to be denied by a matter of inches. On the other end, Philadelphia forced two great saves out of Busch, as he denied Mwanga one-on-one before saving a volley from LeToux at the near post.

Philadelphia continued to pressure the San Jose defense, drawing a number of fouls, much to the ire of Earthquakes head coach Frank Yallop, who was ejected for arguing with the officials just after the hour mark. The pressure nearly paid off in the late stages of the game as Sebastien LeToux drew a free kick on the edge of the area and Kyle Nakazawa bent it of off the Earthquakes wall and onto the far post with Busch motionless.

However, the chances wouldn't fall for either side and both teams had to settle for a goalless draw - an OK result for the Union, but one that sees the Earthquakes' winless streak extended to five games.

Keep updated with Major League Soccer by visiting's MLS page and joining's page.