Seattle has a chance to get Major League Soccer some payback against Monterrey should it get past the preliminary round and qualify for the group stages.Even though Real Salt Lake will not be able to participate in this year’s CONCACAF Champions League, Major League Soccer will have a chance to gain some payback against Monterrey.
The league’s five eligible teams - Los Angeles Galaxy, Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps - learned the groups that they will be drawn into the continental competition should the clubs qualify for the group stages.
Los Angeles and Colorado automatically qualify due to being the Supporter Shield and MLS Cup holders, respectively. The winner of Nutrilite Canadian Championship, the first leg starts tonight, will represent Canada’s MLS clubs in the preliminary round held on July 26 to 28th and August 2 to 4th.
Seattle could have an opportunity to prove MLS’ quality against current trophy holders, Monterrey, in Group C should it get a win against Panamanian side, San Francisco, in the opening set of matches.
Here is the draw:
Preliminary Round (July 26-28 and Aug. 2-4)
Alianza (El Salvador) vs. FC Dallas (USA)
Canadian champion (Toronto FC or Vancouver) vs. Nicaragua qualifier (Real Esteli or Walter Ferreti)
San Francisco (Panama) vs. Seattle Sounders (USA)
Herediano (Costa Rica) vs. Caribbean Football Union 3rd-place finisher Motagua (Honduras) vs. Municipal (Guatemala)
Mexican Clausura runner-up (Monarcas Morelia or Pumas UNAM) vs. Caribbean Football Union 2nd-place finisher
Isidro Metapán (El Salvador) vs. Caribbean Football Union 1st-place finisher
Santos Laguna (Mexico) vs. Olimpia (Honduras)
1. LA Galaxy (USA)
2. Alajuelense (Costa Rica)
3. Pumas UNAM (Mexico) or Monarcas Morelia (Mexico) [Mexican Clausura runners-up] / Caribbean Football Union 2nd-place finisher
4. Motagua (Honduras) / Municipal (Guatemala)
1. Colorado Rapids (USA)
2. Real España (Honduras)
3. Santos Laguna (Mexico) / Olimpia (Honduras)
4. Metapán (El Salvador) / Caribbean Football Union 1st-place finisher
1. Pumas UNAM (Mexico) or Monarcas Morelia (Mexico) [Mexican Clausura champions]
2. Tauro (Panama)
3. Alianza (El Salvador) / FC Dallas (USA)
4. Toronto FC (Canada) or Vancouver Whitecaps (Canada) / Real Esteli (Nicaragua) or Walter Ferreri (Nicaragua)
1. Monterrey (Mexico)
2. Comunicaciones (Guatemala)
3. Seattle Sounders FC (USA) / San Francisco (Panama)
4. Herediano (Costa Rica) / Caribbean Football Union third-pace finisher