thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • March 3, 2012
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • The DW Stadium, Wigan
  • Referee: A. Marriner
  • • Attendance: 19001

Wigan 0-2 Swansea: Sigurdsson hits impressive double to keep Martinez's men rooted to the bottom

Wigan 0-2 Swansea: Sigurdsson hits impressive double to keep Martinez's men rooted to the bottom

Getty Images

Latics still looking for their second home win of the season as Swans cruise to victory in Lancashire thanks to two wonder strikes from Gylfi Sigurdsson

Two wonder strikes from Gylfi Sigurdsson secured Swansea’s third away win of the season as it romped to a 2-0 victory over a lackluster Wigan.

The visitors dominated possession throughout the game and could have scored five on a better day but in the end they had to settle for two long range efforts from Sigurdsson. His first was curled into the top corner in first half injury time and his second a beautiful free kick curled over the wall and into the back of the net. Even the dismissal of Nathan Dyer could not give Wigan a way back into the game as its search for a second home win continues.

Roberto Martinez made one change to his starting lineup as Victor Moses dropped to the bench making way for Conor Sammon. The inclusion of the Scottish striker meant a change to the Wigan formation as he partnered Franco Di Santo in attack.

Brendan Rodgers also made one change as he welcomed back influential goalkeeper Michel Vorm to the side following injury, that meant Gerhard Tremmel dropped down to the bench after letting two goals in against Stoke City on his Premier League debut.

The visitors dominated possession for the majority of the first half and it was Joe Allen and Leon Britton pulling the strings from the middle of the pitch. Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer caused problems down both wings and Wigan found itself trapped inside its own half for the first 20 minutes. Chances were few and far between though, Dyer did find space on the right on numerous occasions but crucial interceptions from Gary Caldwell and Maynor Figueroa restricted any shots on Ali Al-Habsi’s goal.

The first real chance of the match came after half an hour as the visitors continued to push for the opening goal, Sigurdsson played a lovely ball inside Figueroa for Dyer and the winger hit his shot first time but Al Habsi saved well.

Two minutes later another chance fell to the Swans, this time it was Dyer into Sigurdsson but his long range shot bobbled wide of Al Habsi’s left hand post.

The home side lacked a real goal threat and its best opportunities of the half came within seconds of each other in the 37th minute. Jean Beausejour delivered a beautiful left wing cross into the Swansea penalty area for Di Santo and although the Argentine striker had got into a good position he was unable to connect to the Chilean’s cross. Seconds later the Latics moved the ball neatly from right to left but Figueroa’s deep cross was headed straight at Vorm by Emmerson Boyce.

With five minutes of the half remaining the visitors came within inches of opening the lead through Sinclair but he was denied by a goal line clearance from James McCarthy. The winger played a one two with Dyer on the edge of the penalty area before rounding Al Habsi but his low shot was cleared off the line by McCarthy.

However Wigan wasn’t as lucky in the final seconds of the half as Swansea took the lead through Sigurdsson. Steven Caulker played a neat ball into the Icelandic international, he was closed down by two Wigan defenders but was able to get his shot away and he curled a 20 yard strike over Al Habsi and into the top corner to give the visitors the perfect end to a half they dominated.

The home side introduced Victor Moses and Mohamed Diame at the break and Moses caused problems straight away as he raced past Neil Taylo, but his final ball was not converted by Di Santo.

Swansea didn’t let its hosts settle though and in the 53rd minute very nearly doubled its lead as Allen robbed the ball in the middle of the pitch. He found Graham who played it back to the midfielder but Al Habsi made a good save from his low shot.

Seconds later Swansea did have its second goal and it was that man Sigurdsson again with another wonderful strike from distance. This time the Icelandic international curled a 22 yard free kick over the wall and into the far corner giving Al Habsi no chance.

Wigan was given a way back into the game on the hour when Dyer was sent off for a high challenge on Jordi Gomez. The winger put his foot up high in the challenge and caught the Spaniard on the foot and referee Andre Mariner had no hesitation in issuing the red card.

The home side began to put more pressure on the Swansea goal but it was kept at bay by some resolute defending and an impressive display from Vorm. Substitute Diame came within inches of getting the Latics back into the game with a volley from the edge of the penalty area, and Rodallega forced a good save out of the Dutch keeper.

Follow GOAL.COM USA on