At the DW Stadium, Roberto Mancini's side will look to stop a run of defeats after successive cup losses to rivals Manchester United and Liverpool put treble hopes on ice.
Stam, Caldwell, Alcaraz, Figueroa
Thomas, McCarthy, Jones, Crusat
Rodallega, Di Santo
Richards, Savic, Lescott, Zabaleta
Nasri, De Jong, Milner, Silva
Wigan Athletic will be without Mohamed Diame as he is on international duty with Senegal at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Midfielder Hendry Thomas has been asked to step into his place by boss Roberto Martinez and is expected to start.
Winger Albert Crusat is back after a back injury but it may be a game or two too early for Shaun Maloney, who is working his way back to match fitness.
Manchester City will be without key men Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure as the former is suspended following his red card against Manchester United in the FA Cup defeat and the latter is away on international duty with the Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Montenegrin Stefan Savic will continue to deputize for City's captain as Toure's brother Kolo is also playing at the tournament while Nigel De Jong should take Toure's place.
Spanish maestro David Silva is expected to make a recovery from an ankle injury that kept him out of the League Cup game against Liverpool in mid-week and Italian striker Mario Balotelli is a doubt after limping out of the same game.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan is leading the penalty charts this season, having been awarded six so far.
- The club also has a tendency to fall asleep in the last 15 minutes of a match, conceding 11 times already this campaign.
- Wigan's strikers aren't so hot either, having scored only 18 times in 20 matches.
- Roberto Martinez's men are winless in five matches, winning just one of 10 at home this season.
- Manchester City has won its last four matches against hosts Wigan without conceding a goal.
- City is winless in its last four away games in the Premier League.
- Having scored 56 goals already this term, City only needs four more goals to equal its goal tally from the whole of last season - and it's only January.
- It will also be Happy Birthday to Pablo Zabaleta (pictured right) who will be playing on his 27th birthday.