thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • December 3, 2011
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • The DW Stadium, Wigan
  • Referee: M. Clattenburg
  • • Attendance: 19280

Wigan 0-4 Arsenal: Robin van Persie caps impressive victory as Gunners turn on the style to get back to winning ways

Wigan 0-4 Arsenal: Robin van Persie caps impressive victory as Gunners turn on the style to get back to winning ways

Getty Images

Wenger's men return to winning ways and extend their unbeaten run in the league to seven with comfortable victory over lackluster Latics

Arsenal returned to its winning ways and extended its unbeaten run in the league to seven games with a 4-0 win over Wigan at the DW Stadium on Saturday.

First-half goals from Mikel Arteta and Thomas Vermaelen put the Gunners in control of the game and from then they never looked like losing as Wigan struggled to get back into the game.

The Gunners controlled the majority of the match and extended their lead further through Gervinho on the hour mark and Robin van Persie with 11 minutes remaining to seal all three points.

The game had been fairly even for the opening 25 minutes but the deadlock was finally broken as Arteta fired a long-range shot past Ali Al Habsi. Vermaelen broke out of defense before finding the Spaniard inside the Wigan half. Diame failed to close down the midfielder quickly enough and Arteta lashed the ball into the net from 25 yards. Al Habsi will have felt he could’ve done better though as the ball seemed to fly through his hands as he dived to his right.

Minutes later the Gunners delivered another blow to Wigan as they doubled through Vermaelen. The visitors were awarded a corner on the right wing, Van Persie fired the ball in and Vermaelen rose above Caldwell and Sammon to head home at the back post.

Having conceded two goals so quickly Wigan was shell-shocked and Arsenal very nearly extended its lead in the 34th minute through Van Persie. Gervinho set off on a mazy run down the left wing, finding Van Persie on the edge of the penalty area but the Dutchman’s left-foot shot was saved by Al Habsi diving to his left.

The visitors began the second half as they finished the first, in total control. And five minutes into the second period they should have been awarded a penalty for a pull on Aaron Ramsey. The Welshman combined with Van Persie but appeared to be pulled back by Steve Gohouri but referee Mark Clattenburg turned away the Gunners appeals.

Seconds later Wigan broke on the counterattack through Ronnie Stam. He found Victor Moses, who managed to wiggle free in the area but his cross was too powerful for Sammon to get on the end of and the chance was gone.

On the hour Arsenal extended its lead through the busy Gervinho. Van Persie broke into the Wigan penalty area on the left-hand side, getting free of two defenders but his right foot shot was well saved by Al Habsi. However, the keeper could only palm the ball into the path of Gervinho and he fired the ball into the empty net.

With the game drifting towards its conclusion, Arsenal added a fourth goal with 11 minutes remaining through Van Persie. Walcott beat Caldwell to a through ball before rolling the ball back to the Dutchman who made no mistake from 12 yards and begin the mass exodus of Wigan fans.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!