The fierce Pacific Northwest rivals meet with the Cascadia Cup on the line for Portland and a first-ever playoff berth at stake for Vancouver.
|Vancouver Whitecaps (4-3-3): Knighton; Lee, O'Brien, DeMerit, Harvey; Rochat, Watson, Koffie; Robson, Miller, Richards.
PROBABLE: FW Darren Mattocks (R hamstring strain); MF John Thorrington (L hamstring strain)
|Portland Timbers (4-2-3-1): Ricketts; Palmer, Danso, Horst, Wallace; Chara, Jewsbury; Zizzo, Songo'o, Nagbe; Dike.
OUT: DF Ian Hogg (R ankle sprain); DF Chris Taylor (R hip surgery)
DOUBTFUL: FW Kris Boyd (R adductor strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Vancouver has never beaten Portland in Major League Soccer. The Timbers have won three and drawn one of the previous MLS meetings.
- The Whitecaps occupy fifth, the final playoff spot, in the Western Conference. Portland is already eliminated from postseason contention.
- This is Portland's final away match. It could become the fifth team in MLS history to go through a season without a road victory. (Previous clubs with the unwanted distinction: LA Galaxy in 2003, Real Salt Lake in 2005, New York in 2009 and Vancouver last season.)
- After losing five games in a row, the Whitecaps haven't lost in three and have posted back-to-back shutouts.
- This match will decide the Cascadia Cup. If Portland wins, the Timbers claim it. If Vancouver wins or draws, the cup goes to the Seattle Sounders.