thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • October 4, 2014
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Liberty Stadium, Swansea
  • Referee: L. Mason
  • • Attendance: 20622

Swansea City 2-2 Newcastle United: Cisse brace saves visitors again

The striker scored a double for the second time in two weeks, helping ease the pressure on his manager

Papiss Cisse scored another brace to rescue a point for Newcastle United and the under-fire Alan Pardew in a 2-2 draw at Swansea City.

The Senegal striker was recalled to the Newcastle starting XI in place of Emmanuel Riviere and delivered once again with a fine double.

Cisse had come off the bench and netted twice to salvage a 2-2 draw with Hull City a fortnight ago, and replicated the feat with two clever finishes at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.

Wilfried Bony – who came in to Swansea's team at the expense of Bafetimbi Gomis – opened the scoring in the 17th minute for the hosts.

Cisse leveled shortly before halftime, but Wayne Routledge looked to have condemned his former club to another defeat when he restored Swansea's lead.

However, Newcastle refused to accept its fate and Cisse proved to be the savior, stealing in 15 minutes from time to seal a share of the spoils and perhaps ease some of the pressure on Pardew in front of watching owner Mike Ashley.

Newcastle remains without a Premier League win this season, while Swansea has now gone four top-flight games without victory after winning its first three in the 2014-15 campaign.

It took until the 16th minute for Newcastle to craft the game's first real opportunity as Gabriel Obertan – recalled alongside Cisse as one of two changes by Pardew - fired wastefully wide.

Newcastle was punished almost immediately by Bony, who slotted beyond Tim Krul following neat link-up play with Gylfi Sigurdsson.

For all Newcastle's industry, Swansea should have doubled the lead in the 34th minute, midfielder Ki Sung-yueng somehow heading wide from Sigurdsson's free kick with the goal at his mercy.

Swansea paid the penalty for its profligacy in the 42nd minute when Cisse cleverly turned home Obertan's low delivery at the near post. Yet Garry Monk's men retook the lead five minutes after the restart through Routledge.

The winger latched on to a pass from Sigurdsson and lifted the ball over Krul following more haphazard defending from the visitors.

Swansea continued to create the better chances, Krul pulling off another wonderful save to prevent Bony from claiming a second. Krul was then rewarded for his heroics by Cisse, who prodded home a pinpoint right-wing cross from substitute Sammy Ameobi.